Perhaps the most important decision as a Pure Water Window Cleaner is ensuring you get the right pole, as this will be the piece of equipment in your hands all day, every day.
don't be tempted to think that they all perform the same task - choosing the right pole can help you work more effectively, improve the product you're delivering (spotlessly clean windows) & improve the speed at which you can work.
Time is money, right? If you can deliver better results in a fraction of the time - you owe it to yourself to do so!
So let's get down to brass tacks, the primary differences between all poles can be boiled down to differences in the material, the clamping system, and the the size (collapsed & extended). Lets explore these three further...
Most poles on the market are available in the following materials, each with benefits & drawbacks.
Aluminium poles are very sturdy, and extremely hard wearing, but are heavy compared with alternatives. For this reason, they lend themselves perfectly for domestic or occasional usage. Generally they are limited to 25 or 30ft, as they become very difficult to control above this height. These are a great starting pole as the price point on these is generally lower than alternatives.
Check out the FaceLift Renegade or nLite Connect Aluminium poles.
Glass Fibre poles are light weight, and inexpensive, but can be flexible at full extension. Generally these poles are limited to 20ft, as above this the flexibility makes them difficult to work with. These poles are perfect for somebody looking for an inexpensive pole, but also not wanting the weight associated with Aluminium poles.
Check out the FaceLift Phoenix Glass Fibre Poles
Hybrid poles are a mix of materials, generally with 50% being carbon fibre. They are designed to offer some of the benefits of a full carbon fibre pole, but without the cost. Hybrid poles are more sturdy than a glass fibre, but not so strong and rigid as a carbon fibre pole.
Generally they are heavier than carbon fibre but lighter than glass fibre and are priced between the two also. Hybrids are our best selling 'every-day' pole. Perfect for cleaning domestic properties and suitable up to 30ft, above this they become a little flexible.
Check out the FaceLift Phantom & Phoenix Hybrid Poles
Carbon Fibre is the gold standard of telescopic pole, they are equal parts robust, rigid & lightweight. The average price point is higher than the aforementioned poles, but once you've used a carbon fibre pole, you'll struggle to go back. Carbon fibre is recommended for 20ft-50ft cleaning, and is especially important if you are using the pole all day, every day.
Check out the FaceLift Phantom & Phoenix Carbon Fibre Poles
These are specialist cleaning poles, they are the most expensive of the water fed poles and are extremely light weight and rigid. They require a little more care and attention than their counterparts but really are unlike anything on the market. If available in your budget, you won't beat these poles for efficiency, and can be used at anything from 18ft-70ft.
Check out the FaceLift Phantom & nLite Connect Hi-Mod poles
The clamping system is really what differentiates one brand or model of poles from the next. Almost all brands will have the above materials available, and whilst section lengths and diameters can make a difference, none will have as profound an effect as the clamping system.
We have a range of pole & clamp types to look through, in both the Unger & FaceLift collections - however the real game changer in this respect is the Phantom Water Fed Pole range, from FaceLift
This pole clamp was designed from the ground up to reduce the wear and tear your pole experiences, whilst also delivering unparalleled clamping power & grip.
Currently the Phantom poles are our best sellers - by a long shot!
Take a look at Squeeky Clean Dave's review of the Phantom pole (after 3 months usage).
Shop Phantom Water Fed Poles.
The size of pole you require is largely going to be dictated by the type of work you require it for. Most domestic work is done on the ground and first floor, and so a pole reaching 22-25 foot is ideal, with a collapsed length a little over 5ft (for ground floor cleaning).
By comparison, you may have a lot of commercial work at 30,40 or even 50ft - these will require a better standard material and a few more extendable sections. Though it isn't an exact measurement, if you consider each floor to be 10ft, you can estimate the height you need to reach.
Now you may be tempted to think that it's best to get the biggest pole possible, so that you are covering all bases, but in reality, cleaning a 20ft property with a 50ft pole is difficult, time consuming and extremely energy sapping - we generally advise to have a specialist high reach pole that covers the 5% of your work that requires high reach equipment, then perhaps a 'day-to-day' pole that covers the other 95% off your work.
Drop us a line if you have any questions!