Cleaning your gutters might not be the most exciting chore, but it's super important to keep your home safe and dry. In this article, we'll cover how to clean gutters like a pro, whether you're a professional cleaner or just taking care of your own home, and we'll talk about the best tools for the job.
Why Gutter Cleaning Matters:
When it rains, water should flow nicely through your gutters and pipes. But if leaves and dirt clog them up, water can't go where it should. This can lead to problems like roof damage, wall trouble, or even a messed-up patio. So, it's essential to keep those gutters clean and clear.
How Often to Clean Your Gutters:
This depends on your location. As a general rule, you should clean your gutters at least once a year. However, if you have lots of trees around, you might need to do it more often. The best time for this job is late autumn when all the leaves have fallen but before the frost and snow come. If it hasn't been done for a while, there isn't anything stopping you doing right now!
The Right Tools to Clean Gutters:
Now, let's talk about the tools you'll need to clean your gutters like a pro. For this section we're going to split it into traditional gutter clearing and professional gutter cleaning systems.
Traditional Gutter Clearing:
What you'll need:
- Sturdy Ladder: Make sure it's long enough and you've got a stable surface. ladder safety cannot be overstated!
- Ladder Stabiliser: This keeps your ladder steady and safe for you and your gutters. Most modern ladders have a stabilising bar as standard, and be sure to have someone footing the ladder for your safety.
- Protective Gear: Wear long-sleeved clothes, work pants, and a good pair of gloves. Gutter cleaning can get messy!
- Gutter Scoop & Extension Pole: Get some gutter cleaning accessories that match the shape of your gutter and a sturdy extension pole.
- Tarp: Place it below your workspace to catch the gunk and protect your yard.
- Garden Hose: Use it to flush out your gutters and check for leaks.
Here's how to clean your gutters like a pro:
- Climb your ladder carefully and wear your protective gear. Make sure somebody is footing the ladder for your safety.
- Use a gutter scoop or gutter cleaning tool to remove leaves and dirt. Don't worry; it won't harm your gutters.
- Put all the gunk in a bucket or on your tarp.
- After scooping, use the garden hose to rinse the gutters and downpipes. This also helps find any leaks.
- If you notice sagging metal, you can fix it by using a gutter hanger. Many repairs are easy to do yourself!
- You're Done!
Gutter Cleaning Systems
Gutter cleaning from the safety of the ground is a big plus if this is a service you offer on a regular basis, and even if cleaning your own home - negating the need for ladders is a great way to keep yourself safe when cleaning at height.
Gutter cleaning systems are a combination of high power Vacuums coupled with carbon fibre tubes and cleaning tools to cover all shapes and angles of guttering.
Cleaning Your Gutters:
Here's how to clean your gutters with a gutter cleaning system like a pro:
Inspection: Before starting the cleaning process, it is worth checking what you are working with. In the interest of avoiding ladders, inspection cameras (or even an action camera such as a GoPro fitted to the SkyVac™ Tubes) are recommended to check out the state of your gutters safely from the ground.
Assembling the Equipment: Assemble the poles up to your needed height and choose your end tool. Then plug in the Gutter Vacuum and you're ready to go.
Vacuuming: Using the poles, guide the vacuum head along the gutters, if you have an inspection camera, watch the live camera feed. The vacuum head is designed to suck up leaves, dirt, twigs, and other debris from the gutters. The powerful suction of the SkyVac ™ machine ensures that even stubborn or hard-to-reach debris is removed.
Final Inspection: Check the camera feed regularly to ensure that all debris has been removed. Look for any signs of damage or areas that may need repairs, or for any blockages that you were unable to remove.
- Maintenance and Repairs: If you notice any damage or issues with your gutters during the process, make arrangements to have those fixed
Wrap-Up: Now that you know how to clean your gutters like a pro, get out there cleaning! It might not be the most fun job, but it keeps your own/customers home safe and dry. And if you need the right tools for the job, remember to check out our selection of gutter cleaning systems & gutter cleaning equipment. Stay safe and keep those gutters clean!